Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Garden Story

I have always wanted a garden.  So, this year my husband said, "anything for you dear." and we did it.  I measures and schemed, and came up with an idea that would fit with our house.  Don't worry, I went and got it approved by the community office.  I then went to Home Depot and talked to the great people working there.  I'm telling you that the smell of lumber is nostalgic.  I love that place.  Anyway, I got all the stuff:  lumber (cut into 4 ft., 3 ft, and even 12 ft, lengths), peat moss, compost, vermicilite, screws, and some other stuff.  It took two HUGE loads in Scott's (thanks Scott) truck.  I was a little nervous before we tide it down, but I made it, and Bobby unloaded my project.

Then the real work began.  With my CONSTANT supervision we (and by we I mostly me BOBBY) drilled, screwed, measured, cut, measured again, mixed, watered, mixed some more, and filled in all the wonderful boxed.  Our neighbor came over and helped out; Juan is the best.  They worked into the night, and Juan brought over his spotlight so we wouldn't have to stop.  We finally had to give up for the night and leave it until the morning, although I think Juan could have worked all night.












The  next day we finished the project and I was finally ready to begin my planting.  I know have 4 3x4 boxes, 4 4x4 boxes, and a 3x12 box to plant.  That's a total of 146 beautiful squares!!!  I have planted cucumbers, tomatoes, corn, potatoes, beans, carrots,butternut squash, zuchinni, yellow summer squash (that Jimmy Joe pulled up the other day and I have to start over), spinach, lettuce, salad mix lettuce, scallions, peas, green and red peppers, watermellon, pumpkin, and some flowers.  I'm having soooo much fun.  Thank you for my wonderful Mother's Day Present that keeps on giving!!!!

No comments: